Recent highlights of work
● Acting as “virtual Asia counsel” for numerous major brands and multinationals conglomerates for over a decade for all legal affairs in the Asia-Pacific region including Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.
● Advising the world’s largest distributor of electrical & electronic equipment on a series of technology-related acquisitions and disposals in China, Hong Kong and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
● Representing a well-known telecommunications conglomerate in numerous trials on both infringement and invalidation appeals in relation to its ongoing patent infringement dispute with one of China's top cellphone design companies before Shanghai No.1 Intermediate People's Court.
● Acting for a world renowned electronics conglomerate in China, Japan, Australia, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia and India on multiple patent infringement and opposition actions.
● Advising a leading international manufacturer of electric, pneumatic & hydraulic valve actuators and control systems in a dispute against two local Chinese companies who had hijacked their trade mark registration and used the trade mark on products.
● Defending a major European bank in relation to a claim for monies allegedly due to a Chinese company under a letter of credit facility and ensuing litigation in the Hangzhou Intermediate People’s Court and Zhejiang Provincial People’s Higher Court.
● Advising a European-based multinational vehicle manufacturing company in a multi-million RMB arbitration conducted under the CIETAC rules in Shanghai against a Sino-European joint venture company.
● Advising an investee company in the biotech sector on sourcing of funds and structuring of financing for a GBP50 million investment, and corporate restructuring exercise to redomicile an English based operation with a view to pursuing an exit through IPO in Hong Kong.
● Advising Petronet LNG on the development of the Kochi LNG receiving terminal in India.
● Advising a Norwegian company on the structuring and project financing of a seawater desalination project and on the establishment of a joint venture for the development of a seawater desalination manufacturing and contracting business in China.
● Advising a financial services company in relation to the offshore holding company structure regarding onshore investment into a business centre in Myanmar.
● Advising on the employment terms of the new CEO of a Hong Kong listed company, including detailed advice on the structuring of benefits and entitlements under restricted share award scheme, and cross-jurisdictional issues on taxation and enforcement.
● Advising on employment-related issues in Hong Kong and China consequent upon the merger of two international manufacturing conglomerates.
● Advising longstanding client HSBC on title sponsorships for the Asia 5 Nationals (ASN), Asia Sevens series (ASS), Hong Kong Sevens (co-title with Cathay Pacific), and International Rugby Sevens (IRS) in Asia and worldwide.
● Establishing the main sanctioning body for golf in Asia and working closely with management on building the Asian Tour including matters in China, Hong Kong, Thailand and Indonesia.
Latest accolades and awards
“The team stands out for its extensive expertise, technical precision
and solid legal skills.”
“Their level of service is excellent; they are proactive and able to think commercially, not just from a legal point of view.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012
“Clients commend its ‘excellent service and in-depth knowledge’”
‘The cream of the crop in the IP field’. Bird & Bird is ‘highly responsive, commercially attuned and demonstrates market leadership in its quality of advice.’
‘Probably the best firm for TMT’, Bird & Bird fields specialists in the technology and communications sectors, who ‘always mobilize adequate resources to
assist during a crisis’.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012
"Bird & Bird has a strong TMT focus and covers cross-border and China-related corporate and M&A mandates''.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2011
Our leading lawyers have over 80 years of in-country experience in China
TMT Team of the Year
Legal Business Awards 2013
Ranked Top Tier in Intellectual Property and TMT
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013
WTR 1000 2013
Best Legal Adviser
Legal Week's CSR 2012
China Intellectual Property Firm of the Year 2012
China Law & Practice awards 2012
Ranked Band 1 for Intellectual Property, Corporate/M&A; Mid-market
Chambers Asia Pacific 2012
International Intellectual Property Law Frim of the Year
ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2012
Asialaw Profiles 2012
Hong Kong Patent Firm of the Year
The 2012 Asia IP Awards