Bird & Bird’s International Arbitration Group has featured in The GAR 100 for the last number of years, where it has been recognised for having "represented numerous high-profile names and organisations in contentious work".
Bird & Bird's International Arbitration Group is a cross-border, integrated, multi-disciplinary team with an in-depth knowledge of arbitration as a dispute resolution mechanism and a comprehensive understanding of key industry sectors. The group has a truly international feel, operating throughout all of the major financial cities in the world.
Our team includes partners and associates based in the UK, across Continental Europe, the Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong and China. We have advised clients in international commercial arbitration in relation to, and have been involved in arbitral proceedings seated in, various fora, including London, New York, Switzerland, Paris, Singapore, Shanghai, The Hague, Madrid, Milan, Stockholm, Santiago, and Warsaw, with disputes including those governed by the laws of New York, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Poland, and Singapore.
We have extensive experience of representing clients in arbitrations, including under the rules of the world's leading arbitral institutions (ICC, LCIA, AAA/ICDR, CIETAC, ICSID, WIPO) and in ad hoc arbitrations (UNCITRAL).
As an international team of experts in international arbitration and foreign investment law, we are able to provide our clients with an appreciation of the laws and procedures in jurisdictions local to the dispute, ensuring access to legal advice as well as representation at all stages of the proceedings. This includes jurisdictional and merit phases, applications relating to protective measures in support of arbitral proceedings as well as enforcement of or annulment to arbitral awards.
Our Global Arbitration Practice is recommended, and many of our lawyers ranked as leading individuals across our key sectors, in the leading legal directories including Legal 500 UK, Chambers & Partners UK, Chambers Europe, Chambers Asia, Chambers Global and Who’s Who Legal.
Recent highlights of work:
Recent work includes advising:
● A consortium of national telecoms operators in an ICC arbitration seated in London worth US $100million in relation to a dispute is in respect of failed repeaters in an international sub-sea cable system.
● A leading global supplier of financial trading systems: an UNCITRAL arbitration with an Asian stock exchange in a US$107m ICC arbitration over the supply of a derivatives trading system. Settled successfully before hearing.
● A Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese Mobile Imaging Technology Company: assisted in relation to CIETAC arbitration on issues arising out of a technology licence.
● ICSID arbitration under a bilateral investment treaty for $750m arising from leasing and provision of power generation capacity.
● A German hydro-mechanical company against an African state in an ICC arbitration regarding the refurbishment of a dam.
● A Middle Eastern Airline, acting in a LCIA Arbitration in London with a three person Tribunal, in respect of a dispute over charges arising from a distribution agreement for services provided in the Middle East.
"This firm remains a solid presence, having forged strong reputations in High Court litigation and international arbitration''.
Chambers and Partners 2011
"Sources say: 'This is a great firm – well situated internationally, and offering brilliant service''.
Chambers Global 2011