Our Tax Group provides an outstanding and comprehensive international offering. The combination of deep local knowledge, profound sector understanding and a commitment to going all the way for our clients is what sets us apart.
Our international and fully integrated team provides the complete range of business tax advisory services. We have tax experts in all of our offices, and advise clients across all continents, often in complex cross-border deals.
The unique depth of expertise and experience that we have in the industries in which our clients operate enables us to deliver practical and clear solutions to the tax issues that they face.
We’re also one of the few law firms in the world able to offer an extensive team of specialists in international VAT and indirect taxes across Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
We provide expertise in all the following:
● international tax planning
● setting up tax efficient group structures
● property and IP holding structures
● acquisition structuring
● tax efficient supply chain solutions and outsourcing of services
● transfer pricing
● tax efficient remuneration planning
● helping you deal with the tax authorities
Heads of Group: Pieter Camps in The Hague and Christian Luthman in Stockholm.
Recent highlights of work
● We advised BT on the acquisition of facilities company Monteray Limited, a company owned by Carillion and Balfour Beatty, which has been providing facilities management services to BT's offices.
● We assisted Mindshapes Limited in relation to the incentives and corporate aspects of this start-up digital publishing venture. We structured the arrangements to ensure UK management qualified for entrepreneurs’ relief and so that gains made by NEDs in the UK and US will be taxed as capital. We also established an EMI plan for key employees and advised on the implications of a proposed funding round and acquisition.
● We advised Numisma Group Ltd (a €1 billion property fund) on:
● sale of its Swiss real estate portfolio.
● an international tax efficient acquisition and finance structure for the purchase of a €450 million German real estate portfolio and on the €340 million Morgan Stanley loan facility.
● We advised Phyworks on the US$72.5 million (approx) sale of the Company's entire issued share capital to Maxim Technology Limited, a subsidiary of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc (a US Nasdaq listed company).
● Bird & Bird assisted Shere Group on the acquisition of 460 antenna masts owned by KPN (the leading telecoms and ICT service provider in The Netherlands). The transaction completed in two tranches, with part of this financed by third party debt. We advised on the group structuring, financing transaction and real estate transfer tax matters.
● We advised SPUR and its international head office Steak Ranches International BV on Dutch and International tax matters pertaining to their international franchise business. Our advising mainly focused on corporate income tax matters, transfer pricing, group financing, tax planning and IP structuring.
● We coordinated tax and legal work for Stenham Berlin Residential Fund Ltd, associated with a share for share merger whereby ownership in (non-listed) shares in SPV’s owning German residential real estate are exchanged for shares in a stock-listed company (listed on Tel Aviv Stock Exchange).
● We advised Toptable.co.uk Ltd on its sale to OpenTable, Inc, for approximately US$55 million in cash. A US project.
"A friendly and professional group that can come up with creative solutions''.
Chambers Europe 2012
''Bird & Bird’s tax lawyers 'think outside the box' when advising on tax structures and transactions''.
EMEA Legal 500 2012
> Employee Incentives & Benefits
> Trade & Customs