With a strong team of 230 patent specialists, Bird & Bird is synonymous with strength and success in patent strategy and enforcement.
In an increasingly competitive market, it is crucial that a company develops and aligns its patent strategy with its business goals; leveraging the most value from existing IP assets.
Having worked with many of the world’s leading innovators; we have a wealth of experience in providing both strategic commercial advice and invaluable technical insight.
We offer an efficient and effective service; delivering the appropriate legal and technical services and matching the skills of our experts to your specific requirements. Our expertise encompasses the full spectrum of patent issues, from the very early stages of concept development, to multi-jurisdictional enforcement.
In all of our jurisdictions, we have regular exposure to the workings and processes of all local courts, including the specialist and higher courts. This includes representing clients before the European Patent Office. We have a dedicated team focused on the proposed Unitary Patent and Unitary Patent Court and we are currently advising on the steps that should be considered and taken now, to prepare for its implementation.
Our team of experts offer a complete advisory and dispute resolution service including:
- Patentability and patent filing strategies
- R&D and license and know-how agreements and other commercial transactions
- IP Audits and Due Diligence
- Patent enforcement, litigation and dispute resolution
- Advice on related rights such as SPCs
Heads of group: Christian Harmsen in Düsseldorf and Morag Macdonald in London.
Recent highlights of work
● We are acting for Nestlé in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, UK and Italy, in a multi-jurisdictional litigation concerning the infringement of its patented Nespresso coffee system.
● We are advising Microsoft on various matters in the context of its ongoing international dispute with Motorola Mobility, including providing strategic advice on the use of the German and UK Courts.
● We are advising Rovi Corporation and its subsidiaries in the context of their ongoing international patent dispute against various international TV manufacturers as well as VoD providers in Germany, UK, Italy and other countries.
● We act for Global Blue, an international leader in tax refund services and dynamic currency conversion. The Bird & Bird IP team oversee the management of Global Blue’s overall patent strategy worldwide, which includes strategic advice on their patent filing strategy and monitoring of the patents in over 40 countries.
''The firm scores highly for its patent litigation practice''.
Chambers Europe 2012
''With a well-regarded network and significant spread across the region, the firm is well placed to advise on cross-border mandates and co-ordinate large projects''.
Chambers Global 2012
"Bird & Bird has been involved in big-ticket litigation in Asia for nearly 20 years and consequently boasts tremendous experience in the field''.
IAM Patent 1000 2012
'''If you look at the cases it's involved with you would say it has to be ranked highly. You will certainly get good advice and experience there', says one peer''.
Managing IP World Survey 2012
> EU & Competition
> Life Sciences
> Dispute resolution