Our International Dispute Resolution group takes an integrated approach with our non-contentious colleagues. This means that we become involved in potential disputes from the very earliest stage and we can assess risk, alone or with other professional advisers, enabling us to provide you with early advice in confidence which can lead to the avoidance of costly litigation.
Our established understanding of your business means that we will not attempt to impose a lawyer-led approach upon you.
We are committed to accompanying you through all stages of the business process and believe firmly that commercial priorities and realities must dictate the general legal strategy. And whether we recommend negotiation, arbitration, mediation or litigation, it will be because that is the right route for your circumstances. Goals may change and alternative approaches may be required at short notice to enable you to gain the best result.
This level of flexibility is central to our overall philosophy.
We have wide ranging experience and expertise across our key industry sectors and are skilled in all forms of dispute resolution including, litigation; arbitration; ADR including mediation; corporate governance advice and investigations. Our team is particularly known for its expertise in:
> Aviation, defence & security disputes;
> Banking and Financial services litigation;
> Corporate and commercial disputes;
> Energy disputes;
> Life sciences related disputes;
> International commercial arbitration;
> Investment Treaty disputes;
> IT and Communications disputes;
> Media disputes.
We are also highly regarded for our work in relation to:
> Art related disputes;
> Insurance & reinsurance litigation;
> Real Estate & Construction litigation.
Heads of Group: Vonnick Le Guillou and Steven Baker
Recent highlights of work
Recent work includes advising:
● A major telecomms operator: Acting in an £800 million claim in the Technology and Construction Court regarding alleged faults in a nationwide network
● An AIM- listed oil company: Defending from high profile fraud allegations, $400 million claim bought against the former CEO concerning alleged breaches of general fiduciary and Companies Act duties and regulatory obligations concerning this
● A leading global investment bank: Defence of a substantial $800 million claim of alleged mis-selling and misrepresentation in respect of various CDOs/CDSs
● A steel manufacturer: Multi-party litigation concerning disputes over design specification, progress and valuation of steel support structures for an underground nuclear storage facility
● A global airline: potential US$200m claim against an Asian aircraft seat manufacturer arising from the falsification of test data
"Interviewees praise the team as being 'very thorough and knowledgeable,' and highly 'user-friendly.'"
Chambers and Partners 2013
"With over 100 practitioners in its dispute resolution group, the firm is able to handle an impressive range of matters and to ‘get on top of a case quickly and effectively’".
Chambers and Partners 2011
"Dispute Resolution department uses its global network to its advantage on multi-jurisdictional deals. Clients see real value in this, as they do in the team’s expertise and communication with the client".
Chambers Global 2011