Bird & Bird opened in Singapore in 2009 through its global association with a leading local firm forming, ATMD Bird & Bird. The Singapore office works closely with the firm’s regional network of offices in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai. Our integrated one-firm approach means we can help our clients not only in Singapore and Asia, but wherever our clients’ need us to be.
Our team of over 30 lawyers continue to be recognised as leaders in their respective fields and for their high quality advice and deep sector knowledge. We act for a broad range of clients including, major Asian, European and US companies. We advise on both domestic and international cross-border transactions, with a focus on Singapore and Asian regional work. We also regularly advise government agencies, regulatory bodies and public institutions.
Our Singapore practice is sector focused and we provide clients with the full range of commercial services. We are renowned for our expertise in intellectual property and employment law. We also have market leading practices in corporate, merger and acquisitions, environmental, projects and energy, real estate and construction, technology, media and telecommunications, and all forms of dispute resolution and international arbitration. Our lawyers also have extensive experience in aviation, banking and finance (including capital markets), competition, data protection, life sciences, regulatory, sports and tax.
In addition to our strong Asian regional network, we also work closely with Bird & Bird’s extensive international network of offices across Europe and the Middle East. This enables us to offer local expertise within a global context, helping our clients achieve their business goals both domestically and internationally.
The Singapore office is headed by Managing Partner Alban Kang.
Recent highlights of work
- Successfully represented clients in several high profile and landmark intellectual property cases in Singapore courts, including an online iDVR provider in a landmark copyright case before the Singapore Court of Appeal involving time shifting of free-to-air broadcasts
- Acted for a Cambodia-based supermarket chain in the sale of a majority stake to a leading pan-Asian retailer
- Successfully represented the Hong Kong and Singapore subsidiaries of a large Chinese telecommunications company in an arbitration claim against an Indonesian telecommunications company, in a claim in excess of US$23 million
- Represented electronics companies and luxury brands in their anti-counterfeiting operations across the Asia Pacific region
- Provided specialist employment law advice including on due diligence, incentives and integration issues relating to substantial mergers & acquisitions transactions
- Advised on a number of innovative projects in Singapore and the region, including on Phase 2 of the "Intelligent Energy System" (IES) Pilot to test IES infrastructure on different applications for commercial and industrial customers and households and demand response trials, as well as advising on legal issues relating to potential cross border electricity imports
- Advised a leading regional cocoa ingredients producer based in Malaysia on its S$30 million initial public offering on the Singapore Stock
- ExchangeRepresented an American multinational and its Japanese subsidiary in a claim against a Japanese company, in a corporate dispute
- Advised on and negotiated contracts to meet all the IT procurement needs of a leading airline group
- Advised a number of clients on various data protection issues and conducting compliance reviews for clients to prepare for the new Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act
For information on career opportunities in Singapore, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
- Firm of the Year - Singapore
Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards 2009 - 2012
- Intellectual Property Law Firm of the Year – Singapore
ALB SE Asia Awards 2005 – 2009, 2012
- ‘In-House Community Firm of the Year’ for Environmental Law - Singapore
ASIAN-MENA Counsel 2011
- Tier 1 for Intellectual Property – Singapore
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2013
- Tier 1 for Employment Law - Singapore
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2011 - 2013
- Ranked for Corporate and M&A, Dispute Resolution, International Arbitration, Projects and Energy, Real Estate and Construction, TMT - Singapore
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2010 - 2013
- Ranked for Capital Markets – Singapore
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2013
- “Their level of service is excellent; they are proactive and able to think commercially, not just from a legal point of view.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012
- “Clients commend its ‘excellent service and in-depth knowledge’”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012
ATMD Bird & Bird LLP is a Singapore law practice registered as a limited liability partnership in Singapore with registration number T08LL0001K. The firm is associated with Bird & Bird, an international legal practice. It is solely a Singapore law practice and is not an affiliate, branch or subsidiary of Bird & Bird or Bird & Bird LLP.