Bird & Bird’s office in The Hague has a team of over 80 bilingual (Dutch and English) lawyers, tax experts and notaries ready to combine their in-depth sector knowledge and legal expertise to advise you at a local or global level on any issues your business may be facing.
Our lawyers are already switched on to the strategic challenges your industry presents and work with our international teams to provide both domestic and cross-border advice, particularly in technology-driven sectors such as communications, IT, energy, media, electronics and life sciences.
Our team can assist you moving forward with your business, addressing issues such as:
For over a decade we’ve been advising and acting in a wide variety of intellectual property and other commercial litigation, locally and internationally. We have extensive experience in both advising and handling disputes in regulated markets. We’re also one of the very few firms that specialises in Dutch Supreme Court litigation.
The Dutch office is headed by Managing Partners Armand Killan and Pauline Kuipers. Feel free to contact us to discuss your challenges.
Recent highlights of work
We’ve recently advised:
● Various leading telecoms companies: Advising on the 4G mobile frequency auction and the frequency auction of multiband frequencies
● The world's largest food company: Conducting European patent proceedings for the company against various companies relating to their patent infringement
● Various clients: Representing against Dutch public entities such as the telecoms regulator, the data protection authority and the consumer authority and driving enforcement of regulation
● Various clients: Providing in-depth legal advice on privacy, IT-security and cybercrime related issues for various associations and companies
● Electronic communications services client: Advising and conducting litigation in extensive public procurement processes by the Dutch state
● Various clients: advising on renewable energy, particularly wind projects, district heating, combined heat and power installations, field heating and space cooling projects
● Financial services clients: Negotiating several contracts on software-as-a-service and cloud computing
● High profile retail clients: Supporting clients in the development of their online stores, online presence and social media.
● Global media clients: Advising on cookies, data transfer, 'naming and shaming' and copyright-related matters.
● Assisting international software and consultancy companies on various IT contracts and outsourcing transactions.
● Litigating in international electronic cases, also relating to standard essential as well as implementation patents.
● Advising ISP's and broadcasters on copyright-related matters, in particular the very latest developments in Dutch and European copyright law.
“This Dutch Office retains its strong position in the market in all areas of technology, media and telecoms, with its telecommunications practice standing out as one of the best in the country.”
Chambers Europe 2012
“Traditionally, Bird & Bird has been lauded for its wealth of patent expertise; however, its trademark work should not be underestimated - it covers both prosecution and litigation and has notable experience before the Supreme Court.”
World Trademark Review 1000, 2012
“Bird & Bird provides 'knowledgeable, accessible and practical advice that accounts for commercial interests', and is 'very active' in regulated sectors.”
The Legal 500 2012
"This much-praised firm is known for its long-standing commitment to the data protection arena, and has a substantial team of experts throughout Asia and Europe".
Chambers Global 2012
"Strength is the quality and appropriateness of their advice, as well as industry knowledge, political sense, and knowledge of the playing field."
The Legal 500 EMEA 2011
Nominated as ‘Netherlands IP Firm of the Year’ and recognised as “Patent Firm of the Year – Europe” by specialist IP publication Managing IP (MIP)
New office in The Hague
On 15 February 2012 our team in The Hague moved to a new office. The new address is:
2596 AW Den Haag
+ 31 (0)70 353 8800 (Our phone number remains the same)
For a map and directions see below.