Stuart is an Associate in the London Aviation & Aerospace Group and works primarily on contentious and regulatory matters.
Stuart’s contentious experience covers litigation and ADR, including arbitration and mediation, across a number of sectors such as aviation, banking and telecommunications. Stuart has worked on a number of contentious aviation matters on behalf of airlines, aircraft lessors, travel agents and tour operators. He is regularly involved in drafting legal advice and statements of case, as well as preparing and responding to Court applications and drafting witness statements.
Stuart’s recent work includes:
- successful litigation in the Commercial Court against a Delaware LLC concerning a guarantee and complex estoppel issues, and subsequent steps to enforce the resulting judgment;
- defending a European regional airline in an LCIA arbitration brought by a large aircraft lessor in relation to the termination of three leases for Boeing 737 aircraft;
- cross-border debt recovery through the European Order for Payment procedure and management of related foreign proceedings;
- domestic debt recovery and statutory demands on behalf of various aviation companies;
- advising tour operators and travel agents on the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 and related legislation;
- advising on claims under complete supplier failure insurance and scheduled airline failure insurance policies following the collapse of Goldtrail and Kiss Flights;
- making submissions before the Association of British Travel Agents’ Code of Conduct Committee; and
- obtaining the assistance of the Court to compel a number UK-residents to give evidence for use in US proceedings pursuant to the Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil or Commercial Matters.
Stuart has also helped to advise clients on a number of regulatory matters and recently has published articles on Regulation (EC) 261/2004 and the volcanic ash crisis in 2010.